Friday, January 4, 2013

Call Manager/Unity 8.6 Integration

Happy New Year! Glad everyone is safe and sound. Now it has been long over due for a technical post so here it goes. Keep in mind this is not directly related to a CCIE RS issue or my studies. However, when I came across it at work there was no documentation anywhere, at least until now. ;)

Now by no means am I 'certified' in voice, but I have dabbled in it for over 5 years so I am a little dangerous.



When doing an integration between Call Manager 8.x and Unity Connection 8.x, the steps are MOSTLY straightforward. The voice mail ports naming convention on the Call Manager has to match the naming on Unity. They should have their own Calling Search Space (CSS) so that phone lines are not able to directly call the voice mail ports. Those are just a couple of caveats I can think of off the top of my head.

So my voice mail ports on my Call Manager were registered to Unity, my voice mail boxes and user assignment were present on Unity and everything seemed good to go.

However, when User A calls User B and there is no answer, instead of being forwarded to the mailbox of User B, User A is instead forwarded to its OWN mailbox. After double checking and triple checking my configurations, and referencing the documentation I could not locate the configuration error.

It took scrutinizing some trace/call logs to find the issue.
SO here it is:




On left hand navigation tree go to Advanced-> Telephony. Then check the box on the last option.
Yes, that's it.

The Cisco phones running SCCP use their SCCP device name as their caller ID. Since the called party name was not being used, it defaulted to the calling party. Hence being forwarded to your own mailbox.
I am pretty sure in my hours of research that this is the default behavior. If it is the default, why do I need a check mark to turn it on???

Now this little check mark that caused so much headache and wasted time and is not documented anywhere in the 8.x Administration/Configuration guide. If you look at the documentation for this page specifically, it so happens that the last option is omitted completely.

I am hoping that this brief write up will help someone else down the road if they run into this issue.

~P